Pages

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Didn't See This Coming!

     I did not realize how difficult this would be. I guess I can chalk it up to the fact that over the summer I avoided thinking about being away from everyone for three and a half months so that I could enjoy the 16 weeks that I did have of sweet summertime. To be honest, this absolutely sucks and too many tears have made their way down my cheeks. I did not come here with friends, I did not come here knowing the language, I did not come here with the desire to go out to all of the bars and clubs at night. I had no idea that 99% of students only “study” abroad to have access to the night scene, bars and clubs, and that their version of “having a good time” is equivalent to that of a night you literally cannot remember the next morning.
     But, I did not come to Barcelona for the above reasons. I came here to immerse myself in the language, to absorb the culture, to observe the different ways of life, and to actually study. It has been a frustrating transition into the Barcelona city life. I am struggling to find people that I can relate to as I seem to be very different from others, but I won’t give up until I leave on finding just a single soul that holds similar views as I. I miss everyone back home, terribly, especially a certain someone (Thank you for being my rock always. I could not do this without you.). But being away has led me to realize how much support I have back home. The love that everyone keeps sending through their messages and phone calls will be what gets me through this experience with a smile on my face! I appreciate the positivity because sometimes that is really hard to locate when you feel so alone in a foreign place.
     The only advice that some students offer is: You need to stop talking to people back home so you are not so attached to them and then you won’t feel sad anymore. I find that statement highly untrue. Those people back home are the reason that I am where I am at this very moment in time. I wanted to come home the night that I arrived here and a few days after the feeling had not gone away. If it weren’t for the love and support from those individuals back home, I would be back in Pennsylvania right now. They believed in me when I did not believe in myself. Thank you. A cousin of mine had the best advice, as she had been through a very similar situation and knew exactly what I am feeling. Her novels of advice have definitely hit me and turned my attitude around about being in Barcelona. Luckily, I am here for only three months rather than three years as she was in her locale. Also, I must give a mini-shoutout to Paula! You’re the best and it feels like I have two real moms sometimes! I cannot wait for Walking Dead to come back on!
     The students that I am studying abroad with, from my observations, are all quite similar. I worked hard to be here: searching for scholarship opportunities, keeping my grades up, and slaving away in the factory over the summer to earn the money for my plane tickets and other expenses. So I plan to take away from this city everything that I put into getting here. I want to see all that it has to offer, taste its food, take pictures of the amazing architecture, build relationships with my host family as I continue to pick up more Spanish, and simply enjoy being here.
     I have traveled to Tarragona, a beautiful city built amongst the Roman ruins. I have enjoyed a sunset sea cruise on the Mediterranean. I have explored the Mercat de Sant Josep de la Boqueria, the most famous fresh market in Barcelona and ranked as one of the best in the world. I let the sand between my toes and allowed the water to wash over my feet on the coastline of the Mediterranean. I have explored the “hipster” section of the city where vendors create their own goods from local materials. This is just the first nine days of my adventure and I have plenty of time to discover what else this city has to offer.
     On a more educational side of this adventure, Spanish classes have begun and I have homework to do later! I am fully enjoying this part of Barcelona. I love to learn and my number one goal is to learn as much Spanish as possible. It is a language I will be using and building upon for the rest of my life for career and personal use. As a psychology major, I am well aware that language immersion is the best possible way to learn a language and was the strongest determiner on my decision to leave the United States. While they do speak a language known as Catalan (a mix of Spanish and French that only one state in Spain uses), all of the citizens also know Spanish. I am very proud of myself when I am able to communicate with my host-mother or a waitress in Spanish!

     So, here’s to the next 100 days of Barcelona and to making these 100 happy days. Wow, 100 days does not really seem that long anymore!

Bicycles you can rent around the city.

A goat head at la Boqueria. 

Gummy candy in all shapes!

Barceloneta, the beach.

Arc de Triompf.

Santes Creus.

Oasis in Santes Creus, an old monastery in Aiguamurcia.

Tarragona Amphitheatre. Gladiators fought here a long time ago!

Vending machine for cigarettes in a supermarket.

Barcelona from the Mediterranean sea.


Casa Batllo by Antoni Gaudi.

2 comments:

  1. Wow Meg, you are AMAZING! I truly enjoy reading your blog and all your adventures. Your level of maturity, even in the last two weeks, has really blossomed. You have tremendous insight for a 20 year old!
    Eso hace que tu mama muy orgullosa!
    I'm glad to see things are going better for you. Stay positive, one day at a time, and go explore everything Spain has to offer! I love your pictures! The compostion & clarity are very professional. Did you ever consider being a journalist?
    Anyhow, as I said before and I'll say it again...Que siguiera creciendo!
    mucho amor, mama
    only 2400 hours left :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muchas gracias, mi mama! Periodista... no! You already know your daughter is going to end up as un abogada! The phone helps with the pictures, but the eye for the photo I get from my artistic parent. Thank you for commenting and I will try to remain as positive as possible!

      Delete