Pages

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Adapting to the Barca way of Life

     While I am beginning to feel more content living in this foreign city, the heartache and yearning for home remains. I believe that feeling will more than likely stay with me for the remainder of my time here, but I can manage. It is just a not-so-subtle reminder of the loving relationships that I have back in the Estados Unidos.
     But, I must always remember why I decided to come to Barcelona and study abroad. Apparently law schools love applicants that have studied abroad, so I want to increase my own assets for my resume. I would love to be bilingual, and while I may be beyond the ideal age for learning a second language, there is no shame in trying! I want to grow as an individual, and I have been told that this experience will definitely change me, more than likely in a positive light. I want to strengthen my relationship because “distance makes the heart grow fonder”… distance sucks, actually, but if this will be the most difficult time we go through in our entire lives together, I would say that we have it pretty good! I also want to learn how to cook various Catalon dishes, but I need to learn more Spanish before I can ask my host mother to teach me how she makes our dinners every night, so this will be completed at a later date!
     Classes start tomorrow, finally! Make fun of me all you would like, but I adore learning and completing homework assignments. I am definitely excited for my 9am classes Monday through Thursday. Both of my psychology classes are on Monday, so it’s kind of a treat just for me! I have had a total of five Spanish classes so far, and my homestay parents have already noticed an improvement. They are surprised by my ability to comprehend what they are saying, but my speaking abilities are still in need of a lot of work. I have plenty of time over the next 95 days to sharpen all of my Spanish skills.
     Barcelona is an expensive city. It doesn’t help that it takes about $1.30 to equal €1. But, many museums are free Sundays after 3pm, so I will be taking full advantage of this offer! Barcelona has much to offer: cafes, restaurants, museums, beaches, parks, beautiful architecture, shopping, mountains, and much I have yet to discover.
     Since my last post, I have been able to spend a relaxing day at the beach, explore Parc de la Ciutadella, experience my first holiday here, and take lots of pictures. It’s definitely a new experience living the city life. I grew up in an area surrounded by Amish farms and the constant sounds of the city and amount of people are something to get used to. The holiday was on September 11, a day of celebration for the people of Catalonia (a ‘state’ comprised of four provinces in Spain where Barcelona is the capital).  Catalonia wants to be separate from Spain, essentially its own functioning country. There will be a vote by the people held soon to determine public opinion. September 11 was a day of demonstrations where 1.8 million people lined the many kilometers of the streets of Barcelona in the shape of a ‘V’ for ‘voten’. The Catalon flags still hang from balconies all across the city in remembrance of this holiday.
     I have discovered more peculiar things about this city over the past few days as well. The ground level floor is labeled as ‘0’, and depending on if you go above or below the ground level, subsequent floors are labeled 1, 2, 3 or -1, -2, -3. They sell ice cream at movie theaters. You have to press a button or turn a handle for the doors of the metro to open. Nestle makes all of the American chocolate products that are sold here, and Nestle does not make Kit-Kat the way Hershey does. Portions at cafes are very small no matter what you order. Barcelona’s largest crime rate is that of pickpockets stealing so you must ALWAYS be conscious of where your belongings are and who is trying to distract you. Dumpsters are labeled for various waste products such as glass bottles, cardboard, food waste, metal cans, and general garbage. Street cleaners and people cleaning the sidewalks work every day to keep the city clean and they do a splendid job of it. You won’t find anybody eating on-the-go, it is strange to eat and walk at the same time because food is meant to be enjoyed and enjoyed slowly. Shops close for a few hours during the middle of the day and schools allow children to return home for lunch.

     I feel like that was a rather long list… but, there will be more to come later! Thank you to all of those who are reading my blog, I appreciate it. I’m glad that I have the opportunity to share with you all. :) Also, to those that have or have created a google+ account, feel free to "follow" me (I am not quite sure what it is called on google...). At the bottom of my blog, I have added the opportunity to do so and it should show you all of my new posts as I add to the blog.

Mi novio.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds so cool & interesting! I think they have the right idea about taking the time to eat your food and enjoying/appreciating it. I also like the fact they take a break during the middle of the day to "recharge". That's something we should do here in the States.I think the working world has become so competitive that we don't take time for the finer things in life.
    I'm glad you're looking forward to your classes tomorrow. I'll bet everyone will be amazed at how much Spanish you'll learn during your time there, especially Pab's! :)
    Enjoy your day tomorrow and the next. As always, I enjoy reading your
    blog......mantenga venir!
    mucho amor,
    mama

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all for the money, madre, we become slaves. But some may enjoy that lifestyle, just all depends. I am definitely hoping to impress everyone with my Spanish abilities by the end of my time here!! And I think Pabs will be proud! Thank you & love you!

      Delete